PetrolLife has its coincidences, but many times we are
protected by our heavenly guardians, and we don’t even know it. Angie and Andy
Linkhart would agree. They recently moved to the Kansas City area, and bought a brand new
house in a brand new development. The young couple was thrilled about being
homeowners, and determined to learn all the skills needed to keep their
“palace” in great condition. One week Andy was sent on a business trip.
A few days after he left, Angie noticed that the lawn needed cutting. Wouldn’t
Andy be pleased if he came home and found the task done? Angie had never
operated a lawn mower, but how hard could it be? Going out to the garage, she
grabbed the gas can and poured gasoline into the lawn mower, just as she had
watched Andy do. Unfortunately, she spilled some on the garage floor. She
cleaned it up as best she could, but now–where to put the soaked rags? And did
she get enough up so it would be safe to start her car, or would it ignite?

What if Andy drove into the garage over the spill?
This was getting complicated. Angie hadn’t met any of her neighbors yet–and
she was feeling a little foolish—so she went inside and phoned her
grandmother in Fort Wayne, Indiana, for advice. Her grandmother, Ilean Park,
was not an expert on gasoline either.

“I think you should call the fire department,
and ask THEM,” she suggested.

“Gram, I’d be embarrassed–what if they came
with the sirens and the lights…”

“What if they didn’t, and a fire
started?” Ilean countered.

Angie agreed. The firefighters came quietly,
reassured Angie that she’d done the right thing, and finished her cleanup.
While they were there, one suggested they check the air quality in her new
home. Angie agreed. The firemen were in the basement for what seemed like a
long time. When they finally came upstairs, their faces were solemn.

“It’s a very good thing we were here,”
one told Angie.

“You have a severe carbon monoxide leak. We’ve
already called your builder—he’s on his way.”

“Carbon monoxide?” Angie was stunned. The
fireman nodded.

“God works in mysterious ways,” he told
her.

“You might have died here alone.”

It was a gift from heaven, Angie and Andrew agreed
later, when all was calm again. For who would have anticipated anything like
this occurring in a brand new house? Moreover, had Andy spilled the gasoline,
he would have cleaned it up properly and gone on his way, and no one would have
discovered the leak until something tragic happened. Some people may think this
is a “stretch.

But not Angie’s grandmother. “I am convinced
that Angie’s guardian angel was involved in all of that,” says Ilean.

“Why else would it have worked out so
well?”

Scroll to Top